The Hut comes equipped with solar powered electricity and hot water, two wood burning stoves, indoor composting toilets, and hot and cold running water.
Nestled high in the San Juans, the OPUS offers unparallelled scenery, and activities for any season. The Hut is located just to the East of Ophir pass, which is a 4×4 road that connects Silverton and Ophir.
The Hut itself is located 1/2 mile east of Ophir pass just off San Juan County road 8. There is parking along the road as well as a small pullout on the north side of the road. From here follow the hiking trail uphill to the east 1/4 mile.
The Ophir Pass road is not plowed in the winter, and there are 2 trailhead options to access the hut. See the Winter Approaches for details
Almost everything you need for a comfortable nights stay is at the OPUS. Carry a light day pack with your sleeping bag liner, trail food and needed hiking gear.
Hike into the hut then on to another destination without the burden of a full size back pack.
- Relaxation: Enjoy the wood fired sauna, games, books, magazines, and two sunny decks for your viewing pleasure.
- Pillows, mattresses, and blankets.
- Bathrooms: Running water and indoor composting toilets.
- Heating: Aside from the heat provided by the wood-burning stove in the kitchen, there is another small wood stove to supplement the solar powered in-floor heat downstairs.
- Blankets, mattress and pillow covers are provided. Bag liners are also available for an additional fee.
- See Rates & Reservations for meal options.
Things you should bring
- Headlamp – For navigating the path to the sauna or reading
- Hut slippers – To wear around the hut and get yourself to the sauna.
- Bag liners or sheets – You’ll want to make sure to bring a sleeping bag liner or sheet with you. Full length cotton bag liners with pillow pockets are available for rent.