The Hut comes equipped with solar powered electricity and hot water, two wood burning stoves, indoor composting toilets, and plumbing, for those environmentally conscious that don’t want to “rough it” all the way.
Nestled high in the San Juans, the OPUS offers unparallelled scenery, and activities for any season. The Hut is located just to the East of Ophir pass, which is a 4×4 road that connects Silverton to Ophir.
The Hut itself is located 1/2 mile east of Ophir pass just off San Juan County road 8. As the road swings around a large bend there is parking along the road as well as a small pullout uphill of the road. From here follow the hiking trail uphill to the east 1/4 mile.
The Ophir Pass road is not plowed in the winter, and there are 2 trailheads to access the hut from. See the Winter Approaches for details
Almost everything you need for a comfortable nights stay is at the OPUS. Carry a light day pack with your sleeping bag liner, trail food and needed hiking gear.
Hike into the hut then on to another destination without the burden of a full size back pack.
- Relaxation: Enjoy the wood fired sauna, games, books, magazines, and two sunny decks for your viewing pleasure.
- Sound sleep: Pillows, mattresses, and blankets.
- Bathrooms: Running water and indoor composting toilets.
- Heating: Aside from the heat provided by the wood-burning stove in the kitchen, there is another small wood stove to supplement the solar powered in-floor heat downstairs.
- Bedding will continue to be offered in the alpine hut style: blankets, mattress and pillow covers are provided. Full bedding or bag liners will also be available for an additional fee.
- See Rates & Reservations for meal options.
Things you should bring
- Headlamp – These come in handy when you need to see at night.
- Hut slippers – Light enough to wear around the Hut, but cozy enough to wear on the deck for a stargazing session. Be sure you won’t slide around too much in them!
- Bag liners or sheets – The large stack of blankets we have at the Hut mean you can travel light, but you’ll want to make sure to bring a sleeping bag liner or sheet with you. We now have RAB Brand full-length cotton sleeping bag liners available for purchase. For only $30, yours could be waiting for your arrival at the Hut.