The OPUS is a full Service European style backcountry hut equipped with solar powered electricity with 110 volt outlets for charging electronic devices, two wood burning stoves, indoor composting toilets, and hot and cold running water.
Meals, Beer, Wine, and a limited selection of spirits are available from the kitchen.
Nestled high in the San Juans, the hut is located just to the east of Ophir pass, which is a 4×4 road connecting Silverton and Ophir.
The Hut itself is located 1/2 mile east of Ophir pass just off San Juan County road 8. There is parking along the road as well as a small pullout on the north side of the road. From here follow the hiking trail uphill to the east 1/4 mile.
The Ophir Pass road is not plowed in the winter, and there are 2 trailhead options to access the hut. See the Winter Approaches for details
Almost everything you need for a comfortable nights stay is at the OPUS. Carry a light day pack with your sleeping bag liner, trail food and needed hiking gear.
Hike into the hut then on to another destination without the burden of a full size back pack.
- There are a total of 16 spaces in the hut, including private rooms, couples and groups often rent whole rooms for more space or privacy.
- Entire Hut – $640/night
- Individual spot – $40/person/night ; 16 spaces available
- Private room – sleeps 3; $120/room ; 2 rooms available
- Private Room – sleeps 5; $200/room ; 2 rooms available
- Bag Liner; rent $5/for duration of stay
- Reservations can be made here. All pricing includes tax.
- $40/person/night – Meal packages include, apres ski soup, dinner, and breakfast the following morning.
- Meals are prepared with quality natural and locally grown products. We can accommodate any diet. Vegan, low gluten, whatever your preference.
- Be sure to notify us in advance of special dietary needs and allergies, if you are purchasing meals.
Beer, Wine and a limited selection of spirits are available for purchase at the hut.
Cotton Bag Liner
Cotton sleeping bag liners can be rented for $5 for the duration of your stay.
- Relaxation – Enjoy the wood fired sauna, games, books, magazines, and two sunny decks for your viewing pleasure.
- Pillows, mattresses, and blankets.
- Bathrooms – Running water and indoor composting toilets.
- Heating – Aside from the heat provided by the wood-burning stove in the kitchen, there is another small wood stove to supplement the solar powered in-floor heat downstairs.
- Blankets, mattress and pillow covers are provided. Bag liners are also available for an additional fee.
- Meal options
Things you should bring
- Headlamp – For navigating the path to the sauna or reading
- Hut slippers – To wear around the hut and get yourself to the sauna.
- Bag liners or sheets – You’ll want to make sure to bring a sleeping bag liner or sheet with you. Full length cotton bag liners with pillow pockets are available for rent.